The San Francisco City Attorney’s Office is launching its inaugural Law Fellow Program, which will provide a unique and rewarding one-year professional opportunity for an upcoming or recent law school graduate to gain direct experience in a specific aspect of municipal law practice. The successful law fellow applicant must be available for full-time work beginning September/October 2024.
The Law Fellow position is open to the following individuals (eligibility criteria):
- Recent graduates of a law school at an HBCU (Historically Black College and University).
- Recent graduates of the Legal Education Opportunity Program (LEOP) offered at UC Law San Francisco.
- Recent law school graduates who come from disadvantaged educational, economic, social, or physical backgrounds, as established through a personal background statement.
- The term “recent graduate” means someone who graduated from law school in 2023 or who will graduate by June 2024, or graduated in 2022 and participated in a clerkship or fellowship program. An applicant selected for the position who expects to graduate by June 2024 must successfully graduate to be appointed.
An applicant does not need to be admitted to practice law in California to apply for or be appointed to the Law Fellow position.
Law Fellow Program
Our Law Fellow will receive on-the-job training, a direct role in legal research and writing career development programming, and mentorship advice from experienced deputies in our Office.
The selected applicant will spend the full year with the team to which they applied.
Fellows will have the opportunity to participate in and assist that team with a wide variety of activities. Applicants can propose a fellowship on any of the following legal teams:
- Child & Family/Conservatorship
- Code Enforcement
- Complex & Affirmative Litigation
- Government & Government Litigation
- Health & Human Services
- Labor & Employment
- Land Use
- Real Estate & Public Finance
- Worker Protection
More information about these teams is available here.
How to Apply
If you are interested in the Law Fellow Program, more information about the position and application process is available here.
Law Fellow Program Schedule
An applicant must be available for full-time work beginning September/October 2024, and must have successfully completed law school before starting. An applicant does not need to be admitted to practice law in California to apply for or be appointed to the Law Fellow position.