The San Francisco City Attorney’s Office’s Law School Internship Program offers students an opportunity to work in a large and award-winning municipal law office, which has been nationally recognized by the American Bar Association for outstanding excellence. Our internship program reflects an important priority for the City Attorney’s Office: to give back to the legal community in meaningful and important ways.
Upcoming Application Deadline: May 25th, 2018
FALL 2018 PROGRAM
- Applications due: May 25th, 2018
- Orientation (mandatory): August 27th, 2018
- Program length and end date: 10 weeks ending on November 2nd, 2018
City Attorney’s Internship Program Overview
City Attorney Herrera chairs an application evaluation committee that seeks to identify prospective interns based on their promise to emerge as leaders and difference-makers in government and public-interest law. Once accepted, interns work closely with deputy city attorneys who are designated mentors on a meaningful (yet manageable) caseload. Each team also has an internship coordinator, who works to ensure that program participants benefit from their assignments, team and client interactions, and have full access to resources like the city’s law library and electronic research materials. Interns typically work with at least two to three attorneys, who provide ongoing professional feedback and keep interns involved as team members and part of the office’s broader attorney-client relationship with city departments, commissions and officials. Depending on their assignments, interns can take part in client meetings with department staff and elected officials; trials, court hearings, and depositions; public meetings and closed sessions with city commissions and the San Francisco Board of Supervisors; and even press conferences related to the office’s work. City Attorney interns also benefit from events, tours and lectures that the office schedules for interns every season. Special programming offers an inside-view of important and sometimes surprising work required of lawyers for a city as innovative, fast-growing and unique as San Francisco. Past programming has included:
- Tours of AT&T Park, home of our World Champion San Francisco Giants, which the City Attorney’s Office helped to develop, and where legal issues still figure prominently in a rapidly-developing corner of the city.
- Fireboat tours by the S.F. Fire Department, which highlight its preparedness for modern maritime emergencies and its historical role in major disasters like the 1906 and 1989 earthquakes.
- Animal Care and Control facilities tours, which reflect some of the unique challenges and innovative approaches of the City of St. Francis—where dogs actually outnumber children.
- Tours of San Francisco’s Youth Guidance Center, which offers progressive-minded educational, medical, mental health, socialization and counseling services to youth in short-term detention.
Frequently Asked Questions
For common questions about the program, click here.
Descriptions of the legal teams are available here.
City Attorney Internship Video
Internship Program Schedule
The following is the most up-to-date schedule of deadlines and other key dates for the San Francisco City Attorney Internship Program. All interns must attend the orientation for their session. However, the office can be flexible as to the program end date depending on individual student needs.
SPRING 2019 PROGRAM
- Applications due: October 26th, 2018
- Orientation (mandatory): January 7th, 2019
- Program length and end date: 10 weeks ending on March 15th, 2019
SUMMER 2019 PROGRAM
- Applications due: December 10th, 2018
- Orientation (mandatory): June 3rd, 2019
- Program length and end date: 10 weeks ending on August 9th, 2019